We’re continuing our Game of Thrones recaps with Season 3!
With Game of Thrones series finale airing Sunday, we’re diving into everything that’s happened in Westeros so far. Today we’re going through the third season with a rundown of what happened, who was killed, and our favorite line from each episode. Let’s dive in.
3.1 – Valar Dohaeris
- Jon Snow arrives at the Wildling camp and meets Mance Rayder and Tormund.
- Davos awakes on a small rocky island and is saved by the pirate Sallador, upon returning to Stannis he learns Melisandre is burning men they take prisoner and attempts to kill her.
- Robb arrives at Harrenhall to find at least 200 North men dead. Bolton promises Karstark vengeance for his son’s death.
- Tyrion asks Tywin to let him take Casterly Rock, he tells him no.
- Sansa asks Littlefinger to get her out of King’s Landing.
- Daenerys heads to Astapor where she meets Missandei and is introduced to the Unsullied.
- Barristan Selmy saves Daenerys from an assassination attempt by the Warlocks of Qarth and vows allegiance.
Kill Count: +200
- Over 200 Northern men are found dead at Harrenhall.
- Baratheon Men, burned by Melisandre as sacrifice to the Lord of Light.
- “A bit of a comedown from the chambers of the Hand. But then I don’t suppose you need much room.” – Cersei Lannister
- “Grand Maester Pycelle made the same joke. You must be proud to be as funny as a man whose balls brush his knees.” – Tyrion Lannister
3.2 – Dark Wings, Dark Words
- Bran meets Jojen Reed in a vision as him, Hodor, Rickon and Osha head towards the Wall.
- Robb and Catelyn learn that her father is dead and that Bran and Rickon have been killed by Theon.
- Theon is tortured by Bolton men.
- Ros, a whore from Winterfell who has become a close confidant of Littlefinger, warns Shae to keep Sansa away from Littlefinger.
- Catelyn tells Talisa that she feels this whole mess is because she couldn’t love Jon Snow as her own child, that the Gods cursed her.
- Mance explains to Jon that he united the Wildlings by convincing them it was the only way they’d survive against the army of the dead.
- Bran meets Jojen Reed in person as well as his sister Meera, they continue with them on their path to the wall.
- Arya, Gendry and Hot Pie meet the group of Brothers without Banners, led by Thorus.
- Shea asks Tyrion to help keep Sansa safe.
- Arya, the boys, and the Brothers without Banners find the Hound.
- Jaime and Brienne fight on their way to King’s Landing, and are taken by Bolton men.
Kill Count: 1
- Hoster Tully, Catelyn Stark’s father, seemingly dies of old age.
- “Is there an idiot in any village who trusts Littlefinger?” – Tyrion Lannister
3.3 – Walk of Punishment
- Robb and Catelyn go to her father’s funeral and he chastises his uncle Edmure Tully for not working with them.
- Tywin Lannister holds a small council meeting as the Hand of the King, and named Tyrion the Master of Coin.
- As Arya and Gendry depart with the Band of Brothers, Hot Pie decides to stay at the Inn and bake pies for travelers.
- Some Lannister children, from further branches of the family, are tended to by Talisa. They ask if Robb turns into a Wolf at night, and she says yes.
- Mance sends a team of men, including Jon Ygritte and Tormund, to the Wall.
- At Craster’s Gilly has her child, a boy, and asks for Sam’s help saving him.
- Ramsay lets Theon leave, thinking he’s safe.
- Daenerys tells Jorah and Ballister that she will conquer without killing innocents. She also offers to buy the Unsullied with a Dragon.
- Tyrion learns the crown is 10 million in debt. He also leaves Podrick at Littlefinger’s brothel with numerous women. Podrick returns and gives Tyrion back the gold he paid at the brothel. The women said he was so good that they didn’t feel right taking his money. Tyrion and Bronn ask what he did.
- Theon is caught by Bolton men, Ramsay kills the men and “saves” Theon.
- Jaime saves Brienne from being raped by Bolton men, and his right hand is cut off by Locke.
Kill Count: 4
- The Master torturer and three other Bolton men are killed by Ramsay.
- “There is a beast in every man and it stirs when you put a sword in his hand.” – Jorah Mormont
- “I’m quite good at spending money, but a lifetime of outrageous wealth hasn’t taught me much about managing it.” – Tyrion Lannister
- “Yes. All men must die, but we are not men.” – Daenerys Targaryen
- “We’re going to need details. Copious details.” – Tyrion to Podrick
3.4 – And Now His Watch Is Ended
- Jaime attempts and fails to escape from the Boltons.
- Varys finds the sorcerer who cut off his genitalia as a child, and plans to torture and kill him.
- Ros tells Varys about Podrick, and that Littlefinger is leaving King’s Landing with two feather beds, one likely for Sansa.
- Cersei and Tywin talk about legacy as Joffrey grows close to Margaery Tyrell.
- Theon, still thinking Ramsay is a friend, tells him that he shouldn’t have chosen the Greyjoys over the Starks.
- Jaime wants to die after losing his hand, Brienne tells him to stay alive and use what he’s learned.
- Cersei tries to convince Tywin that the Tyrells are not an ally but a threat.
- Varys tells Olenna Tyrell that Littlefinger is planning to leave with Sansa.
- Margaery asks Sansa to marry her brother, Ser Loras.
- Members of the Night’s Watch kill Craster and Commander Mormont.
- The Brothers without Banners take the Hound, Gendry and Arya to Beric.
- Daenerys buys the unsullied, and immediately reclaims her dragon and kills the slave owners.
Kill Count: Hundreds
- Night’s Watch men, Craster and Mormont are killed in the Mutiny north of the wall led by Karl and Rast.
- The Sorcerer who made Varys a eunuch.
- The Slave Owners of Astapor.
- “My real father lost his head at King’s Landing. I made a choice… and I chose wrong.” – Theon Greyjoy
3.5 – Kissed by Fire
- The Hound fights in a trial by combat with Beric and kills Beric, Thorus brings him back to life. They let the Hound leave after.
- Jon lies and tells the Wildlings that the Night’s Watch has a thousand men.
- Ygritte and Jon have sex in a cave with a spring.
- Jaime and Brienne are brought to Roose Bolton.
- Tyrion asks Olenna to help pay for the wedding of Margaery and Joffrey.
- Rickard Karstark kills the Lannister boys Robb is keeping prisoner, Robb beheads him for treason.
- Jaime tells Brienne why he killed the Mad King, how he planned to burn all of King’s Landing with Wildfire, and he had to kill Aerys Targaryen to save everyone.
- Stannis’ daughter Shireen, who has scars from Greyscale, begins teaching Davos how to read.
- Grey Worm becomes the leader of the Unsullied.
- Robb makes plans to attack Casterly Rock.
- Tywin tells Tyrion he must marry Sansa.
Kill Count: 5 (Technically 6)
- Martyn and Willem Lannister are killed by Rickard Karstark.
- A guard is killed when Karstark goes to kill the Lannisters.
- Rickard Karstark and the Karstark lookout are beheaded by Robb.
- Beric is killed by the Hound, but brought back to life.
- “Jaime… My name is Jaime.” – Jaime Lannister
3.6 – The Climb
- Sam and Gilly make camp on their way to the wall.
- Ygritte tells Jon not to betray her, and that she knows he’s lying about the thousand men.
- Melisandre meets up with the Brothers without Banners, they sell Gendry to her for Gold.
- Jon and the Wildlings climb the wall, one portion of the wall falls off, and Jon and Ygritte are nearly killed.
- Ramsay Bolton tortures Theon.
- Walder Frey agrees to help Robb if Edmure will marry one of his daughters.
- Roose Bolton lets Jaime go.
- Loras and Sansa bond over their hatred of King’s Landing.
- Tyrion is forced to tell Sansa that they must marry.
- Littlefinger and Varys discuss that the game for the throne is just chaos and lies.
- Joffrey tortures and kills Ros.
- Jon and Ygritte get to the top of the Wall with Tormund and a few other men.
Kill Count: 5-10 or so
- Wildlings are killed climbing the wall.
- Ros is killed by Joffrey.
- “The realm. Do you know what the realm is? It’s the thousand blades of Aegon’s enemies, a story we agree to tell each other over and over, until we forget that it’s a lie.” – Petyr ‘Littlefinger’ Baelish
- “But what do we have left, once we abandon the lie? Chaos? A gaping pit waiting to swallow us all.” – Lord Varys
- “Chaos isn’t a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, are given a chance to climb. They refuse, they cling to the realm or the gods or love. Illusions. Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.” – Petyr ‘Littlefinger’ Baelish
3.7 – The Bear and the Maiden Fair
- Orell the warg tells Jon he can’t be with Ygritte forever.
- Talisa tells Robb she’s pregnant.
- Joffrey admits to Tywin he’s worried about the fact that Daenerys has Dragons.
- Daenerys arrives in Yunkai and is immediately asked to leave with gold and ships.
- Melisandre reveals to Gendry that he’s the bastard son of Robert Baratheon.
- Arya leaves the Brothers without Banners and is caught by the Hound.
- Jaime promises Brienne that he’ll return Sansa to Catelyn.
- After Jaime leaves Harrenhall, which is now under Bolton control, Brienne is put in a dress and forced to fight a bear. Jaime goes back and saves her.
Kill Count: 0
- “Do you know something. I know I love you.” – Jon Snow
3.8 – Second Sons
- The Hound tells Arya he’s taking her to her family in the hopes of a reward.
- An army of mercenaries called the Second Sons guards Yunkai. One of their Generals, Daario, kills the other two leaders and vows service to Daenerys.
- Melisandre takes Gendry to Stannis, she uses leeches to take his blood and sacrifice the “king’s blood” within him to help kill the other kings that Stannis faces.
- Stannis tells Davos that he’s seen a great battle in the snow when he’s looked into the fire.
- Sansa and Tyrion are married. At the reception he gets drunk and threatens Joffrey when Joffrey threatens Sansa. Tyrion vows not to consummate the marriage.
- Sam kills a White Walker on the road to the Wall with Dragonglass.
Kill Count: 2 (Technically 3)
- Mero and Prendahl na Ghezn, the other two leaders of the Second Sons, killed by Daario.
- White Walker, killed by Sam.
- “A man who fights for gold can’t afford to lose a girl.” – Daenerys Targaryen
- “I think mothers and fathers made up the gods because they wanted their children to sleep through the night.” – Davos Seaworth
3.9 – The Rains of Castamere
- Catelyn tells Robb to take Casterly Rock.
- Walder Frey tells Robb he forgives him.
- Sam and Gilly arrive at the Wall.
- Bran, Jojen, Meera, Osha, Rickon, and Hodor arrive at a windmill.
- The Wildlings try to kill the horse farmer for the Night’s Watch, Jon stops them and they head to the windmill and battle. Ygritte kills the old man, Jon kills Orell, Bran uses his Warg abilities to control his direwolf Summer. Summer and Shaggydog, Rickon’s direwolf, help save Jon.
- When everything’s clear, Bran has Osha take Rickon to Last Hearth, the home of House Umber, a Stark ally.
- Daenerys’ men, including the Second Sons, take Yunkai.
- After Edmure is married to Walder Frey’s daughter Roslin Frey at the Twins, the castle of the Frey’s, the Stark men are all slaughtered, including Robb, Talisa, and Catelyn.
- The Hound and Arya arrive, but the Hound knocks her out and takes her out of the Twins.
Kill Count: Unknown
- Old man killed by Ygritte.
- Orell, killed by Jon Snow.
- 3 unnamed Wildlings are killed by Jon, Summer and Shaggydog.
- Robb, Talisa, and Catelyn Stark are all killed by the Freys.
- Yunkai soldiers are killed by Daenerys’ men.
- Stark and Tully bannermen, and Stark soldiers are all killed during the Red Wedding.
- “Don’t you want to teach little Ned Stark how to ride horses.” – Talisa Stark
- “The Lannisters send their regards.” – Walder Frey
3.10 – Mhysa
- The North men burn, as the Frey’s continue their massacre. Blackfish manages to escape.
- Tywin tries to put Joffrey in his place and names Roose Bolton Warden of the North.
- Ramsay Bolton renames Theon, Reek.
- Sam meets with Bran and ends up giving him Dragonglass before Bran leaves for north of the wall.
- Theon’s sister Yara vows to find him and bring him home.
- Davos and Gendry bond over being poor men from Flea Bottom.
- Varys asks Shae to leave, she believes it’s a ploy by Tyrion but he doesn’t know about it.
- Arya kills Frey men as her and the Hound head out from the Twins.
- Ygritte finds Jon and fires arrows at him as he rides off.
- Davos sets Gendry free when he realizes Stannis and Melisandre want to kill him.
- Jon returns to Castle Black.
- Jaime returns to King’s Landing.
- In Yunkai, the people accept Daenerys, calling her Mhysa, or Mother.
Kill Count: Unknown
- Bolton, Stark and Frey soldiers are all killed as the massacre continues at the Twins.
- Frey soldiers are killed on the road out from the Twins by Arya.
- At least 163 slaves are killed in Yunkai during the battles to free the land.
- “Perhaps you should speak to me more softly then. Monsters are dangerous and, just now, kings are dying like flies.” Tyrion to Joffrey
- “It’s not easy being drunk all the time. Everyone would do it if it were easy.” – Tyrion
That’s it for Season 3 of Game of Thrones. Be sure to check back as we continue covering each season leading up to the final episode of Game of Thrones which airs this Sunday at 9pm ET on HBO. Check out all of our previous coverage at the links below.