We have some new Star Wars news!
This weekend Star Wars Celebration is taking place in Chicago, IL. While the event will feature plenty of new information on the future of the Star Wars Universe, the biggest panel is for the upcoming Episode 9. That panel just ended and we’ve got all the info you need. The Panel was moderated by Stephen Colbert and after explaining how he got the gig from “(his) friend” JJ Abrams, he brought out Abrams and Lucasfilm. They revealed a few small details before bringing out the cast of the film.
Here’s all the major info we learned from the panel.
- They took unused scenes from The Force Awakens with Carrie Fisher and rewrote around her dialogue to still include her in the film.
- The film is an adventure that keeps the team together.
- They tried to use as much practical material as possible to help create a more realistic approach.
- Everyone on set went silent the first time Billy Dee Williams walked on set.
- Naomi Ackie revealed will be playing a character named Jannah.
- John Boyega explained that Finn finally feels as though he’s found his place as a Resistance Fighter.
- Boyega said that Captain Phasma is in fact dead. (Unclear if it’s a misdirect.)
- Colbert asked Oscar Isaac who is the better pilot Poe or Hann, and
- While Daisy Ridley didn’t reveal what happened to the Lightsaber Rey was building, but Luke’s Lightsaber is involved in the film.
- Colbert asked if Rey has any new Force powers, and it seemed as if there are but they don’t want to reveal them yet.
- Kelly Marie Tran received a standing ovation when Colbert began asking her questions.
- Tran said she did gain some insight from narrating the audio book for Cobalt Squadron, which details Rose’s backstory.
- Joonas Suotamo praised Peter Mayhew for his work as Chewbacca.
- Anthony Daniels said that shooting in Jordan felt like being in Ralph McQuarrie’s paintings and designs for Star Wars.
- Isaac said that at times they would take breaks from filming due to sand storms in Jordan.
- They introduced a new droid named Dio.
- They then revealed a teaser trailer for the film which you can watch below. Which included the title for the film, Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker. The trailer ends with Emperor Palpatine laughing, and Ian McDiarmid appeared on stage, saying in his Emperor Palpatine voice, “roll it again.” They rolled the trailer again and that was it.
Keep following Poor Man’s Spoiler for more Star Wars Updates!