“Nothing’s more hateful than failing to protect the one you love.”
With Game of Thrones 8th and final season coming up this month, we’re taking a look at the road that led to the final battle for Westeros. Today we’re going through the fifth season with a rundown of what happened, who was killed, and our favorite line from each episode. Let’s dive in.
5.1 – The Wars to Come
- A young Cersei and her friend go to see a witch within the woods near Casterly Rock. The Witch tells her she’ll marry a king and have three children who will all die.
- Jaime warns Cersei that everyone will be coming for them now. Cersei says Tyrion is the real threat, and blames Jaime for Tywin’s death.
- Tyrion and Varys arrive in Pentos.
- In Meereen the Unsullied are attacked by the Sons of the Harpy.
- Jon trains new recruits while Sam talks to Gilly, she asks him not to let them send her away.
- Stannis tells Jon he wants the Wildlings to help him take Winterfell, and wants Mance to bend the knee.
- Sansa and Baelish watch as Robin is trained in sword combat.
- Pod suggests him and Brienne head to Castle Black. They’re passed by Sansa and Baelish’s carriage group.
- Baelish tells Sansa that they shouldn’t trust Lord Royce or anyone else in the Vale.
- Loras gives Cersei his condolences. Lancel does as well, as a Sparrow, a group of religious fanatics. He apologizes for their relationship and for getting Robert drunk.
- Loras lays with Littlefinger’s man. Margaery interrupts and suggests that she may have a way around Cersei.
- Tyrion asks Varys why he set him free. Varys says he needs him to help save Westeros. Asks him to come with to Meereen.
- Daenerys is asked to reopen the fighting pits. She visits the dragons and they try to attack her.
- Jon goes to speak with Mance, who says he won’t bend the knee to Stannis. Mance is set on fire by Melisandre. Jon shoots an arrow through his heart.
Kill Count: 2
- White Rat, an Unsullied soldier, is killed by the Sons of the Harpy
- Mance Rayder, is killed by Stannis/Melisandre/Jon.
- “The freedom to make my own mistakes was all I ever wanted.” – Mance Raydor
- “We all must choose, man or woman, young or old, lord or peasant, our choices are the same. We choose light or we choose darkness. We choose good or we choose evil. We choose the true god or the false.” – Melisandre
5.2 – The House of Black and White
- Arya arrives in Braavos. When she is refused at the House of Black and White, home to the faceless men, she throws her coin from Jaqen H’agar into the sea.
- Brianne and Poderick run itno Sansa and Littlefinger at an Inn. Sansa refuses Brienne’s help, so she decides to watch Sansa from afar.
- Cersei receives a threat from the Oberyn’s family. Jaime decides to head to Dorne to save Myrcella, brining Bron with him.
- Ellaria Sand plots to kill Marcela and seek revenge on the Lannisters, against Prince Doran’s wishes.
- Varys and Tyrion head to Volantis. Varys says there’s a Lordship for anyone that brings Cersei Tyrion’s head.
- Two men bring Cersei the head of a dwarf as she named Qyburn the new master of Whispers in place of Pycell. Cersei’s uncle Kavin accepts the title of Master of War and refuses to take orders from Cersei.
- Shireen teaches Gilly to read.
- The Night’s watch vote for a new lord commander, Aemon makes the tie breaking vote for Jon over Alliser.
- Jaqen H’ghar reveals himself to Arya and tells her he is no one, and that Arya must become no one.
- A Son of the Harpy is set to stand trial, but is killed by a former slave, Daenerys has the man executed and a riot ensues. When she is alone, Drogon returns but seems to reject her.
Kill Count: Unknown
- A Son of the Harpy, killed by Mossador as Vengeance for White Rat.
- Mossador, a former slave, is executed by Danerys for having killed the Son of the Harpy.
- Three Nights of the Vale are killed by Brienne of Tarth.
- Numerous Slave masters and Meereenese people are killed in riots following Mossador’s execution.
- “People follow leaders, and they will never follow us. They find us repulsive.” – Lord Varys
“I find us repulsive.” – Tyrion Lannister
5.3 – High Sparrow
- Inside the house of Black and White Arya does grunt work. Jaqen says she must serve the many faced God.
- Tommen and Margaery are married. They consummate the marriage. She tells Tommen that she feels bad for Cersei, leading him to tell Cersei she should go to Casterly Rock.
- The Boltons rebuild Winterfell. Baelish sells Sansa off to marry Ramsay Bolton.
- Stannis asks Jon to fight for him, Jon declines,
- Waif, a girl that is part of the Faceless Men begins taunting Arya. Jaqen makes Arya get rid of her things, as they tie her down to her identity, she hides needle.
- Jon names Alliser first ranger. He orders Janos Slynt to man castle Greyguard, when he refuses, Jon executes him.
- The high septon is dragged from Baelish’s Brothel by the Sparrows. He asks the king’s council for justice.
- Cersei finds the high sparrow serving food to the poor. She tells him the Sparrows will lead the faith in King’s Landing.
- Tyrion and Varys drink in a brothel, Jorah is there and kidnaps Tyrion.
Kill Count: 3
- A despondent man is killed at the House of Black and White.
- Medger Cerwyn is flayed by Ramsay Bolton for supporting the Starks.
- Janos Slynt is beheaded by Jon Snow for not following his orders.
- “Nothing’s more hateful than failing to protect the one you love.” – Brienne of Tarth
5.4 – Sons of the Harpy
- Jorah throws Tyrion onto a boat and sails off.
- Bron realizes Jaime helped Tyrion escape.
- Cersei sends Mace Tyrell, now the master of coin, off to Braavos to talk to the Iron Bank. She gives the sparrows rule and power.
- The Sparrows destroy the wine, attack brothels, take Loras captive.
- Margaery asks Tommen to release Loras, he refuses to use violence to free him.
- Melisandre tempts Jon and he refuses, because of his vows and the fact that he still loves Ygritte.
- Stannis explains to Shireen how she got Grescale, that a man gave them a doll with greyscale on it, and Stannis got every maester and apothecary to work to save her, and they did.
- Sansa visits the tomb of her aunt Lyanna, Littlefinger joins her and they talk about her aunt. He tells her he’s leaving and Stannis will be there soon to keep her safe.
- Jaime and Bron arrive in Dorne.
- Ellaria meets with three of the Sand Snakes, Oberyn’s bastard daughter, Obara, Nymeria and Tyene. Tyene being the only child of Ellaria and Oberyn. They plot their revenge for Oberyn’s death.
- Jorah tells Tyrion he’s taking him to Daenerys, and Tyrion figures out what happened with Jorah being exhiled by Daenerys.
- Sons of the Harpy kill Second Sons and ambush Unsullied. Barristan is killed and Grey Worm wounded.
- Four Dornish Guards are killed by Bronn and Jaime.
- A Merchant captain that helped smuggle in Jaime and Bronn is killed by the Sand Snakes.
- The Sparrows kill numerous King’s Landing residents.
- Some Unsullied soldiers, Second Sons, Meereenese residents, Sons of the Harpy, and Barristan Selmy are all killed when the Sons of the Harpy attack.
- “You know nothing Jon snow.” – Melisandre
5.5 – Kill the Boy
- Danny has the Second sons round up the leaders of the “great families.” She brings them to her dragons, and one of them is eaten.
- Sam reads a scroll to Aemon telling how Daenerys is doing. Later Aemon tells Jon to “kill the boy, and let the man be born.
- Despite the majority of the Night’s Watch men’s dismay, Jon plans to head north with Tormund to bring the rest of the Wildlings south.
- Brianne has an older woman tell Sansa how to send a message for help.
- Myranda threatens Sansa. Sansa eats dinner with the Boltons. Ramsay explains how he broke Theon and makes Theon apologize to Sansa.
- Roose tells Ramsay they’re expecting a child, he later asks Ramsay to join him in battle against Stannis.
- Sam tells Gilly about the citadel. Stannis advises Sam to keep reading to find ways to fight the dead.
- Stannis prepares to leave Castle Black.
- Missandei sits at Grey Worm’s bedside. He awakes and she tells him Barristan is dead. He says that when he fell he worried he’d never see her again. They kiss.
- Daenerys decides to reopen the fighting pits and marry Hizdar zo Loraq in an attempt to bring peace between her and the former masters.
- Jorah and Tyrion sail through Valyria on their path. They see Drogon flying over. Stone men attack the boat. One drags Tyrion under the water.
- Jorah awakes Tyrion on a shore. Jorah was touched by one of the Stone Men, greyscale grows on his left arm.
Kill Count: A Dozen or So
- Master Eaton is devoured by Daenerys’ dragons.
- A bunch of stone men are killed by Jorah and Tyrion.
- “Kill the boy, And the let the man be born.” – Maester Aemon
5.6 – Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken
- Arya cleans bodies and fails a test by Jaqen. Later she makes a sickly little girl drink the poison from the pool within the House of Black and White. Jaqen shows Arya the faces in the lower levels and says she’s ready.
- Tyrion tells Jorah how his father, Jeor, died. Jorah tells Tyrion about Daenerys stepping out of the fire. They’re caught by slavers, and Tyrion convinces them to sell the two men into the fighting pits.
- Littlefinger arrives at King’s Landing, He’s threatened by Sparrow Lancel. He tells Cersei that Roose is marrying Sansa to Ramsay. He asks that she make him Warden of the North in place of Roose.
- Doran tells his man that they must Trystane and Myrcella. Bron and Jaime ride into the Water Gardens disguised as soldiers.
- Ellaria and the Sand Snakes prepare to kill Marcella.
- Jaime and Bron find Trystane and Myrcella. Ellaria and the Sand Snakes take on Jaime and Bron, in the battle Bronn is cut with a blade on his arm. Doran’s soldiers take them all captive.
- Olenna returns to King’s Landing. She tells Cersei to stop the madness with the Sparrows. Cersei claims she has nothing to do with it. The Sparrows interrogate Loras and Margaery and find them fit for trial.
- Sansa is married to Ramsay and on their wedding night Ramsay makes Theon watch as he rapes her.
Kill Count: 1
- Ghita, a terminally ill girl, is mercifully killed by Arya at the House of Black and White.
- “We both peddle fantasies, Brother Lancel. Mine just happen to be entertaining.” – Petyr ‘Littlefinger’ Baelish
5.7 – The Gift
- Jon readies to leave with Tormund. Aemon tells Gilly to head south before he passes away.
- Sansa tries to get Theon to help her escape. Theon tells Ramsay, and he kills the old woman who offered to help Sansa.
- Davos suggests heading to Castle Black, Melisandre suggest they kill Shireen.
- Ghost and Sam save Gilly from two Night’s Watch men. Sam is wounded, and as Gilly attends to his wounds they have sex.
- Jorah and Tyrion are sold off, to battle in the fighting pits. Jorah ends up fighting before Daenerys and he shows her that he brought Tyrion as a gift.
- Bron begins to succumb to the poison on the blade he was cut with while fighting the Sand Snakes. They give him the antidote.
- The Sparrows end up imprisoning Cersei.
Kill Count: Unknown
- The Old Woman who offered to help Sansa is killed by Ramsay.
- Maester Aemon dies of natural causes in his bed.
- Unnamed Slaves are killed fighting as part of the fighting pits.
- “It’s better to wait for the right time than risk everything.” – Davos Seaworth
5.8 – Hardhome
- Tyrion tells Daenerys she should let Jorah go instead of killing him, she listens. She takes Tyrion on as an advisor.
- After leaving Meereen, Jorah asks the man who bought him to put him back in the great games.
- Arya is tasked with killing a gambler in Braavos.
- Cersei refuses to confess to her sins.
- Theon tells Sansa that he didn’t kill Bran and Rickon.
- Ramsay tells Roose he only needs 20 good men to weaken Stannis.
- Jon arrives at Hardhome with Tormund. They are able to convince the Wildlings to come with them south of the wall. As they go to leave, the white walkers attack. They aren’t able to save everyone, and as they sail south they see the Night King raise all the people the White Walkers just killed, giving him even more soldiers.
Kill Count: Unknown
- Numerous Wildlings, Night’s Watch men, and White Walkers are killed when the White Walkers attack Hardhome.
- “Someday, if you decide not to execute me, I’ll tell you all about why I killed my father. And on that day, should it ever come, we’ll need more wine than this.” – Tyrion Lannister
- “I’m not going to stop the wheel, I’m going to break the wheel.” – Daenerys Targaryen
5.9 – The Dance of Dragons
- Stannis’ men wake up to find their camps ablaze, their food and resources destroyed and many men killed. Stannis sends Davos to Castle Black to get resources and more men.
- Jon arrives at the wall with the Wildlings.
- Doran agrees to let Jaime go free with Myrcella.
- Ellaria pledges to end her rebellion and apologizes to Jaime.
- Melisandre burns Shireen.
- Jorah wins the great games, and saves Daenerys from being killed by one of the Sons of the Harpy.
- The Sons of the Harpy attack everyone at the great games, and are then attacked by Drogon, who flies off with Daenerys after killing numerous Sons of the Harpy.
Kill Count: Unknown
- Shireen Baratheon is killed by Melisandre and Stannis, burned alive as a sacrifice to the Lord of Light.
- Numerous pit fighters are killed in the Great Games.
- Numerous Slave Masters, Sons of the Harpy and Meereenese residents are killed when the Sons of the Harpy attack at the Great Games.
- “I believe in second chances. I don’t believe in third chances.” – Doran Martell
- “It’s always changing, who we’re supposed to love and who we’re not. The only thing that stays the same is that we want who we want.” – Ellaria Sand
- “In my experience, eloquent men are right. Every bit as often as imbeciles.” – Tyrion Lannister
5.10 – Mother’s Mercy
- The morning after Shireen is killed, half of Stannis men have left and his wife, Selyse, has hung herself.
- Sam leaves Castle Black to head to the Citadel and become a maester.
- Stannis marches on Winterfell, and his army is decimated. Brienne finds Stannis alone and kills him as justice for Renly.
- Theon kills Myranda and him and Sansa jump over the walls of Winterfell.
- Arya kills Meryn Trant instead of the man she was instructed to by Jaqen H’ghar. She loses her sight for having used the faces without being ready.
- As Jaime, Bronn and Myrcella leave for King’s Landing, Ellaria apologizes and kisses Myrcella goodbye.
- On the ship back to King’s Landing Myrcella tells Jaime she knows he’s her father and she’s happy for it. She then dies, killed by poison from Ellaria’s lipstick.
- Jorah and Daario head out to find Daenerys. A large horde of Dothraki soldiers find her in the mountains and circle around her.
- Cersei confesses to the High Sparrow and he makes her atone by cutting her hair, stripping her naked, and walking through King’s Landing for everyone to see as Septa Unella follows behind repeating the word shame and ringing a bell.
- Upon her arrival at the Red Keep, Qyburn introduces Cersei to the reborn Mountain, who has sworn a vow of silence until her enemies are defeated.
- Jon Snow is tricked into a mutiny plot and stabbed by Alliser and other Night’s Watch members. Olly makes the final blow, stabbing Jon straight in the heart. He dies in the snow.
Kill Count: Unknown
- Selyse Baratheon hangs herself.
- Meryn Trant is killed by Arya Stark.
- Myrcella Baratheon is killed by Ellaria Sand by kissing her with lipstick that’s poisoned.
- Theon throws Myranda off a rampart in Winterfell to help save Sansa.
- Many Bolton and Baratheon soldiers are killed when Stannis tries to take Winterfell.
- Stannis Baratheon is killed by Brienne of Tarth.
- Jon Snow is killed by Aliser Thorne, Olly, and a handful of other Night’s Watch men.
- “If I’m going to die, let it happen while there is still some of me left.” – Sansa Stark
That’s it for Season 4 of Game of Thrones. Be sure to check back as we continue covering each season leading up to the final season of Game of Thrones which begins on April 14th on HBO. Check out all our previous coverage below.